Growth of Capitalism and Big Business
Business Cycle: Depression
1) Discuss the causes leading to the industrialization of the Untied States during the second half of the 19th century
2) Discuss the impact of the American Industrial Revolution on agriculture during the period 1870-1900
3) Account for the role of Big Business in America in the Post-Bellum Period
4) How did the technology and marketing innovation transformed the American economy in the late 19th Century?
5) Critically analyze the process of economic and industrial expansion that led to the rise of Big Business
6) Analyze the main reasons for the development of Big Business Organization in the US between 1870 to 1900
1. 1) Howard Zinn. 1980. A Peoples History of the United States. New York: Harper Collins. Chapter 11: Robber Barons and Rebels
2) Paul A Baran and Paul Sweezy. 1966. Monopoly Capital: An Essay on the American Economic and Social Order. New York: Monthly Review Press.
3) Harold Underwood Faulkner. 1960. American Economic History. New York: Harper & Brothers. Ch: 21: Consolidation of Business
4) George Brown Tindal and David Shi. 1992. America: A Narrative History. Vol. 2. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. Ch: The Rise of Big Business
5) Grob andBillias, Interpretations of American History: Patterns and Perspectives. vol. 2, Chapter 2: The American Businessman
6) R P Kaushik, 1983. Significant Themes in American History. Delhi: Ajanta Publications. Chapter 8: The Beginning of Big Business in American History
7) Bernard Bailyn, 1977. The Great Republic: A History of the American People. New York: Coauthored college textbook; several editions.
8) Eric Hobsbawm.1975. The Age of Capital 1848-1875. London: Abacus
9) Amiya Kumar Bagchi. 2005. Perilous Passage: Mankind and the Global Ascendancy of Capital. New Delhi: OUP.
10) A Dictionary of Marxist Thought, Second Edition